That brings me to my first point: symptoms. These are the reasons we did a blood test in the first place. My brother was exhibiting some classic symptoms of diabetes, which include frequent urination (every hour or so), extreme thirst, unexplained weight loss, feeling generally bad, like sick to the stomach, run-down, tired, spacey, pale skin, and bags under the eyes. Yes, some of this could be due to sleep patterns and being over-worked, but when they're all together, it's best to see a doctor. Luckily, he was not throwing up.
Ok, so according to the American Diabetes Association, symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes are:
- Frequent urination,
- Unusual thirst,
- Extreme hunger,
- Unusual weight loss,
- Extreme fatigue and irritability.
Now that that's out of the way, a word about the purpose of this blog. About a week ago I got the idea to write a blog about dealing with diabetes and not letting it dictate life. That is to say that I have this goal of attending the New England Center for Circus Arts (circus school), and there's no way I'm going to let diabetes stop me. It hasn't stopped me from playing softball or soccer, rowing for the UMass Women's Crew Team for 4 years, or bicycling across the country. Basically, I want to use this as a way to give other people hope and encouragement. Sometimes it is difficult finding others with this disease who have not let it slow them down. Then, when you hear about them, it's easy to say, "Well yeah, they could do such-and-such a thing because of such-and-such a reason, and I don't have that kind of resource or whatever." I've said it. Many times, these people were already participating in sports, ballet, swimming, or mountain climbing before they were diagnosed, so it might seem like they already have an advantage. Well, I've never done circus before. I learned how to do a cartwheel on the playground at recess in elementary school. That's it. I know it's a cliche, but you just have to want it, whatever it is. I know sometimes that's not enough; you also do have to work for it, because it's not just going to materialize out of thin air, but that goes along with wanting it. If you want money, you have to work for it, right? I know it's really not that easy, but you have to start somewhere, and sometimes it means jumping in with both feet. Now I'm just rambling. I'd better stop before I type complete nonsense. And my decaf tea is probably cold now. Shucks.
Anyway, a note to my brother, if he ever reads this, and to anyone and everyone else who is feeling down and overwhelmed: it could be worse. Really. Just take it one day at a time.
Abbie - this is good. Glad you were there to help Andy. Hope you keep writing in here. You are an inspiration even if you did not have diabetes - you are AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sue! I hope to post at least once per week, maybe even a couple times per week if I have time or inspiration!
ReplyDelete