I performed a couple of weekends ago. We had two shows and they both went well. The first show was the "dress rehearsal," and ended up being my favorite. Here's why.
Mine was the last act of the show. No, that's not the reason, but it being the last act I had to roll the wheel away from the floor after the bow so that people would not be tempted the give it a test-spin. Anyway, please allow me to back-track a bit; near the end of my act during the first show, I interacted with a young girl, she was maybe 4 or 5 years old, by shrugging and silently asking if my toy-car placement was right. You'll know what I'm talking about when you watch the video. Anyway, fast-forward to post-bow; I'm standing by the wheel to further discourage test-drivers and the little girl, her parents, and her brother come over to say "Hi!" and all the other after-performance niceties people say. The dad was saying to the girl, "Go ahead, you can say it..." but she was a little shy. So, I broke the ice by asking, "Did you like the jump at the end?" She nodded "yes." So I asked, "Did you think I was going to make it?" She shook her head, "no." I laughed. Then she got up the nerve to say, "I want to try German Wheel! That looks fun!" (Ok, maybe she didn't actually say "German Wheel").
I like to imagine that sometime down the road, that little girl will remember when that circus performer talked to her, and that it felt really awesome and special to be the person in the audience that was asked (with a look and a gesture), "Does this look right?"
Follow the link below to see the act (filmed during the second show of the day).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3hQOX19hZw&feature=youtu.be
No comments:
Post a Comment