Ok, it's actually one hand.
This is what my hand looked like at the end of our first day back (which was Monday), don't worry, it's even worse now.
Doctors freak out a little bit when they see hands in this condition, especially on a diabetic person, aka me. Mainly because they worry about diabetic related complications such as neuropathy, a condition in which the periphery nerves are damaged. This can cause pain or numbness in hands and feet. So whenever doctors see my hands like this, I think they get worried that I either can't feel it (neuropathy) or that I'll get an infection. Well, doctors, I most certainly can feel this, and yes it hurts but in a most unsurprising and normal way. Otherwise, my hands work as well as they ever have. Also, I wash them. A lot. So, instead of freaking out, tell me something useful, like, "Put ointment on it at night. Try taping it when doing activities where contact with dirt and grime is highly likely," etc. Otherwise, what are you going to tell me, stop doing circus? 'Cause that ain't gonna happen.
Circus hands create.
Don't underestimate them.
By the way, if you want to read more about neuropathy, here's a website with a good over-view: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php
No comments:
Post a Comment