Friday, December 23, 2011

Mission Possible 1: Pull Ups Progress Report 1


They’re getting easier. I think. I don’t really have a great solid plan for training for this goal, so that makes it a bit difficult to judge progress. Working up to it is the hard part because I want to see immediate results. I want to do those 2 measly pull ups right NOW!

You may be wondering, after reading the last post, what is the difference between pull ups and chin ups? Well, it’s in the grip. What I’m referring to as “pull ups” are also known as “overhand pull ups” and what I call “chin ups” are also known as “underhand pull ups.” It’s just easier to say pull up and chin up than the rest. So, with “overhand pull ups,” or as I call them “pull ups,” you grab the bar with your palms facing away from you. With “underhand pull ups,” or “chin ups,” you grab the bar with your palms facing toward you. The rest is pretty much the same with both; you pull yourself up so that you chin is over the bar. Ta-da! Each grip targets or works slightly different parts of the arm, shoulder and back muscles. That’s why one might be more difficult than the other.

I will have a more detailed account of what muscles are used and ways of working up to doing pull ups in my next post. I’ll also post what my pre-pull up “workout” warm up is like, in case anyone is interested. Happy Holidays to everyone who celebrates whatever you celebrate during this season!

Image from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Back_Muscles.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment