Alright, so here it is, I am publicly announcing that I am making it my mission to do pull ups. Right now I kinda suck at it and can sort of do one. Chin ups are marginally better and I can basically do one of those. Pull ups are something that is pretty basic but pretty crucial for circus work, and pretty much required for acceptance into one of the professional training programs at NECCA. And, being able to do pull ups is pretty awesome. And they make you pretty. I should probably make my goal more specific. Ok:
- · I want to do 2 full pull ups, from a dead hang, by the end of January. That sounds good.
About a month ago I had a training session with one of the coaches at NECCA. At that time I was having major difficulties with the pull ups and told her that I was defeating myself before even trying by having negative thoughts. Such as, “Pulls ups are way hard and I can’t do them.” So, she told me to work on a positive mantra (in addition to working on the actual pull ups). I want something better than the old go-to of, “You can do it!” I’ve heard it’s beneficial to think of it as pulling the bar down instead of pulling your body up. It’s really not as difficult as I think it is.
Got any tips you’d like to share about pull ups? The one I hear most often is just to practice pull ups. Do pull ups and you’ll get better at doing pull ups. Also, pushups help strengthen the muscles used for pull ups. I kind of want something a little more magical, so to speak, like, “Wake up real early, put on your grey sweats, break 3 eggs into a glass and drink it, then run and run and run up some stairs and pump your fists into the air.” Except I’m not so keen on drinking raw eggs.
No comments:
Post a Comment